Many people feel worried about launching a website because they are not sure what to say and what is expected or how to go about it. Here are the answers to solve this dilemma:
THE 5 W’S – WHAT TO SAY ON YOUR HOME PAGE
Many people feel frustrated when surfing the internet and it is not immediately apparent if the company whose website they are looking at meets their needs or is even in their area. Then to plough through pages of information to find out its too much work, so they hit the back button.
To make sure that does not happen to you, make sure you cover the “5 W’s” of web page writing essential to capture a surfer and make them continue to browse your site. These are basic points but you would not believe the number of sites out there that miss presenting this information on the first page.
- WHO you are – Your Company Name
- WHAT you do – The products or services you offer
- WHERE you are located – Many people are looking for a local company.
Miss this point and you’ll hear a lot of back buttons.
- WHO you do it for – Do you deal with retailers only? Architects? End users?
- WHY your company – Your “marketing hook”. Is it quality, price, unique product, or service?
Why should they choose you instead of the competition?
HERE’S AN EXAMPLE FROM OUR HOME PAGE:
- Aroma Web Design
- provides top quality web site design, hosting and business services
- from our central location in West Vancouver, BC.
- Whether you own a company with a strongly established image, or you
need to start from the basics,
- we will make your business stand out from the competition.
- This is followed by a checklist, easy to scan quickly, of the services
QUANTITY VS SUBSTANCE You do not need to have long pages of text; in fact, saying what you need to say in fewer words will make it more likely that prospective clients will actually read what you have to say. This does not mean that you should leave out important points that you want to communicate – just don’t worry if you’ve said everything in one or two paragraphs. Text can always be filled out by us with carefully chosen illustrations that enhance your message.